Extended course on B-BS
The extended course on B-BS has been developed specifically for holdings. It is unique in the safety field, for both contents and didactic methodology.
In addition to the formation of Responsible and of the Safety Leaders for the company, the course is also focused on offering practical support, tools and all the services (expert consultants of B-BS and OBM) needed by that companies who wants to introduce the B-BS.
40 hours, preferably arranged in groups of 2 days.
Specific advantages and goals
The advantages of a Behavior-Based Safety process have been outlined in detail above. The particular elements distinguishing this specific course are:
- Introduction to the Behavioral Safety Training, obtained by the participants by paying just a small fraction of the B-BS seminar cost without transfer expenses (all the other available seminars about methodology are currently set exclusively in the USA or outside Europe);
- Complete training and details about the theoretical principles of behavioral psychology, giving the tools to modify and motivate safe behaviors;
- Awareness of the values, culture and adoption of safe behaviors development techniques, generalized and stable over time;
- Introduce in detail the implementation of the company process steps, by giving time to work individual or in small groups for the construction of material original and specific for the specific firm;
- Provide students with the knowledge of a system of management (applied to field of quality, environmental protection and workplace safety) able to combine demonstrable results and effective adaptation to the legislation;
- Provide with basic elements of Safety Leadership, for the efficient administration of co-workers;
- Facilitate the decrease of the possible Behavioral Safety process realization’s cost.
Articulation of educational project
In the course we deal with the following topics: 1) the motivation behind hazardous behaviors (the most frequent and true cause of accident); 2) The implementation steps of a B-BS process; 3) The most effective techniques for the safety training and leadership development.
In order to personalize the enterprise intervention and improve its efficacy (to personalize the seminar or for a future occasion) in the adoption of a behavioral safety process, we suggest to ask for a preliminary assessment in the company factory, to permit to teachers the analysis of the activity in the plant, its structure and work organization, its processes and the current practises for what concerns safety.
A synoptic overview of the project can be seen in the table below. The detailed program will be defined precisely after the preliminary assessment phase in the plant, if it is included in the formative project.
PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT (optional) – 1 day (+ 1 day of analysis and preparation)
Assessment in the field for the study of the activities, of the organization of spaces and work, of current issues and about current practises for what concerns safety. The ideal option would be to let the consultants attend some daily or periodic meetings about safety, taking place into the holdings.
The agenda of the assessment phase will be defined together with the handler of the SPP staff.
PROGRAM 1° PHASE: The behavior theory – 2 days
Introduction about the safety at the workplace issue.
Dissemination of the B-BS all over the world: its efficacy and the scientific evidences.
The currently adopted solutions to the issue and their weak points.
The theoretical construct – the psychological model of the Behavior Analysis (A-B-C Model by F. B. Skinner):
Within these days several exercitations will be carried on, in order to master the behavior psychology theory, on which is based the B-BS protocol
PROGRAM 2° PHASE: The B-BS implementation steps – 2 days
Prevention and safety culture and values: definition, development and maintenance.
The creation and maintenance over time of the safety behaviors: the B-BS protocol.
These formative days include individual (or in small groups) workshops, in order to start building their own B-BS process, adapted to the company’s reality.
PROGRAM 3° PHASE: The safety leadership – 1 day
Elements of Safety Leadership:
The Return on Investment (ROI) of B-BS: how to make B-BS application more profitable under the economic profile and increase its ROI.
- Safety-Day on behavioral safety (1, 2 or 4 hours)
- Introductory course to the B-BS (8 or 16 hours, in consecutive days);
- Leadership and Behavior-Based Safety (From 4 to 8 hours);