The Behavior-Based Safety (B-BS) approach is currently the most efficient methodology in decreasing the number of accidents in the workplace.
It operates through the reduction, or total cancellation, of hazardous actions and behaviors. It has been demonstrated that more than the 80% of accidents does not take place because of scarcity of equipment or unsafe conditions, but instead because of the adoption of inappropriate behaviors. It is therefore obvious the enormous potential that a methodology exclusively designed to obtain the permanent execution of safe behaviors has.
The Behavior-Based Safety has objectively provided evidence of its efficiency in all working fields, through the dramatic reduction of accidents and injuries in many companies worldwide.
B-BS consists in a process, constantly applied inside the company, based on techniques of workers’ motivation. It brings to reciprocal observation and self-observation of behaviors (including near-miss reporting). The method is especially focused on constant feedbacks provision for correct behaviors. B-BS radically eliminates the needs for punitive sanctions and develops a shared safety “culture” inside workers.
A big part of the process is directly managed by workers: this contributes to the development of a healthier working environment, because of its impact on employees-employers relationship.
All B-BS interventions are focused on the before-after detection of number and kind of safe behaviors adopted in the workplace. This method allows us to have objectively measurable results.
Compared to traditional approaches, B-BS brings several advantages for both the employees and the company:
- Reduction of accidents, injuries and correlated pain on a both clinical and human level, with due regard for work ethic;
- Realization of an improved relational environment between employers and employees, even outside the safety context. It also helps in developing a feeling of “belonging to an excellent firm”, which takes care of values and of corporate social responsibility;
- Elimination of unrealistic reporting or of near-miss missed report, through preventive actions (taking place before the accidents happens) and not reactive actions;
- Strong reduction of legal issues (see also rulings in favour of companies in USA);
- Potential renegotiation and reduction of insurance premiums;
- Reduction of accidents and injuries leads to avoid costs related to: stop of the production, missed services, damage of the equipment, etc.;
- Dramatic reduction of lost working days because of accident;
- Increase of productivity due to the extension of this methodology also to Performance Management.
Behavioral Technologies, for what concerns the B-BS protocol, offers two services:
B-BS Training Courses and B-BS Consultancy.